Call Today! 678-677-3489

Finding and Selling Properties in Gainesville, GA

History of Gainesville

Per Wikipedia

Gainesville was established as Mule Camp Springs by settlers in the early 1800s. Less than three years after the creation of Hall County on December 15, 1818. Mule Camp Springs became Gainesville on April 21, 1821, and was named in honor of General Edmund P. Gaines,[5] a hero of the War of 1812 and a noted military surveyor and road-builder. Gainesville was selected to be the county seat, and was chartered by the Georgia Legislature on November 30, 1821. A Gold Rush that began in nearby Lumpkin County in the 1830s resulted in an increase in the number of settlers and the beginning of a business community. In the middle of the nineteenth century, Gainesville witnessed two important events: in 1849, Gainesville was established as a resort center, and in 1851, much of Gainesville was destroyed by fire. The period from 1870-1920 saw significant growth in Gainesville. In 1871 the Airline Railroad, later named the Georgia Southern Railroad, began to stop in Gainesville, helping to expand the population from 1,000 in 1870, to over 5,000 in 1900. By 1898, textiles became the primary driver of the economy, in part due to the railroad. In 1902, Gainesville became the first city south of Baltimore to have street lamps. On March 1, 1905, free mail delivery began in Gainesville and on August 10, 1910 the Gainesville post office was opened. December 22, 1915 marked formal opening of the City's first skyscraper, the Jackson Building, which is still standing today; and in 1919 Southern Bell made improvements to the phone system. City services began in Gainesville on February 22, 1873 with the election of a City Marshal, followed by solid waste collection in 1874. In 1890, a bond issue to fund the waterworks was passed and the original water distribution system was developed. In 1943, at the height of World War II, Gainesville contributed to the war effort by leasing the airport to the US government for $1.00, who used it as a Naval Air Station for training purposes. In 1947, the airport was returned to the City of Gainesville with two 4,000 ft landing strips (one of which was later lengthened to 5,500 ft). After World War II, a businessman named Jesse Jewell started the poultry industry in Georgia, and this has since become the state's largest agricultural crop. This $1 billion a year industry has given Gainesville the title "Poultry Capital of the World." In 1957, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers constructed Lake Lanier which presently covers more than 38,000 acres and is the most visited Corps-created lake in the nation with an economic impact of more than $2 billion annually. During the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, Gainesville served as the venue for the rowing and kayaking medal competitions. In the 21st century Gainesville continued its progress, with the accreditation of the Gainesville Parks and Recreation Department in 2001, became the 3rd Department in the State to be Accredited; the opening of the Lakeside Water Treatment Plant in 2002; and the introduction of new societal activities including the Spring Chicken Festival in 2003, the Art in the Square gathering in 2004. and "Dredgefest" in 2008. 2008 also saw the reopening of the Fair Street Neighborhood Center, the re-opening of the Linwood Water Reclamation Facility Grand, and the completion of the Longwood Park Fishing Pier.




back to top